Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Parenting, Inc.

I am currently reading a book called Parenting, Inc. by Pamela Paul. In case you are wondering what it is about, the subtitle of the book is How We Are Sold on $800 Strollers, Fetal Education, Baby Sign Language, Sleeping Coaches, Toddler Couture, and Diaper Wipe Warmers--and What It Means for Our Children. OUCH! According to the book flap, "In Parenting, Inc., Pamela Paul uncovers how, over the past generation, the parenting industry has convinced parents that they cannot trust their children's health, happiness, and success to themselves... [P]arents are assaulted by a whirligig of marketing hype, social pressure, and celebrity expertise, transforming the way they raise their children." It has been a fascinating read so far, and I am sure that my husband is greatly annoyed at how many times I interrupt his reading to share a mind-blowing quote with him.

So instead, I will subject my blog readers:-) In a chapter entitled "Trouble in Toyland", Paul looks at how toy marketing has changed over the years from 'ordinary toys' to toys that 'do something', usually something educational and productive. But:

"The very idea that play needs to be productive and purposeful, that there should be a prescriptive goal for a baby's free time, is self-contradictory. Consider the textbook meaning of play. According to Catherine Garvey of the University of Main and Kenneth Rubin of the University of Maryland, play involves five necessary elements. First, play is pleasurable and enjoyable. Second, play should have no extrinsic objectives. Third, play is spontaneous and voluntary. Fourth, play involves active engagement. Fifth, play incorporates some form of make-believe. A plaything is not meant to teach anything at all; it is by definition not purposeful. Toys, in short, are supposed to be "just" for fun. Yet many contemporary toys ask children to execute tasks, turning play into performance." (p. 102-103, emphasis in original)



This book is definitely helping me to think through what products, toys and services I want to use, and what I am buying into just for the marketing scheme. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

The Baker Family said...

I read this book earlier this year, and, like you, subjected my poor husband to long passages read out loud. I couldn't agree more with the author. I have never bought the kids any toys that make noise, and I've tried to stick with simple things like blocks, puzzles, play-doh, etc. No fancy electronic alphabet games for us. If you haven't gotten to it already, the section on marketing is horrifying. It is for exactly those reasons that I refuse to let the kids watch movies or TV, and I do not buy them name-brand things (other people may give them as gifts, but you will not see me buying a Bob the Builder or Thomas toy).

Yes, I guess I feel a little strongly about this!