Thursday, October 13, 2011

The most amazing biscuits ever

Though I was born and raised in the South, I will be the first to admit that my parents were 'Yankees' and as such I have not always appreciated the finer Southern things. Like biscuits. I enjoy a good biscuit, but I did not grow up eating them all the time, and I do not relish the idea of slaving over biscuits, cutting them out, etc. I prefer things simple and yummy, with as few dirty dishes as possible. So when my wonderful friend Karen introduced me to her Granddaddy Dilmus' biscuits, I was in love. Really in love. These biscuits are easy and amazing. Try them out, and let me know what you think---no kneading and cutting out involved!

Granddaddy Dilmus' Biscuits
2 (heaping) cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) salted butter (very important that it be salted!)

Turn oven on to 475 degrees, and melt butter in pie pan in oven. While butter is melting, mix other ingredients together. Pull pie plate out of oven, and pour half of the melted butter into the biscuit dough (I did not say this was a healthy recipe, just a delicious one!). Dough will be very wet and sticky. Drop dough by spoonfuls into buttered pan. Bake 12-15 minutes in 475 degree preheated oven, until golden brown. Remove from oven, let cool briefly, and then turn pan upside down onto plate to release biscuits. Break apart and enjoy! *Note: additional butter for spreading on the biscuits is not necessary, though jam, jellies and apple butter all taste wonderful on these babies!

2 comments:

Erin (moviemuse) said...

Intriguing! I will have to try this.

Tara said...

Yummy! I am going to try it too!