Thursday, January 05, 2012

Scones

I have recently found that on days when I do not feel well, I want scones. I don't know why that is, but no one in the Finn household is complaining :-) Today I made Strawberry & Rosemary Scones, and that recipe plus links to two others is below. Scones seem like they would be a lot of work, but I have found that using the food processor makes a huge difference--it just 'pulses' everything together in record time. Also, most scones call for being rolled out and then cut into wedges, and that is the "traditional" method. However, as you may remember from my previous post about biscuits, I HATE rolling and cutting. Instead I just drop the dough, and with the strawberry-rosemary scones, I flatten them out with my fingers. Easy-peasy. Scones can be served with clotted cream or Devonshire cream, but these three recipes are just perfect without that! Enjoy!!







Strawberry & Rosemary Scones (We were served these at the wonderful Bed and Breakfast at Peace Hill--thanks, Mike and Tanya!)
 
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1 T finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 t salt
6 T unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 c heavy cream
1/3 c strawberry jam
 
Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
 
In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, rosemary, salt & butter. Use a food processor to pulse the butter into the mix. Gradually add the cream to the food processor until the mixture forms a dough. Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours (the dough will be sticky if you don't). 



Option 1 for preparing the scones--Roll the dough into a 1/2 inch thick, 10-inch circle. Use a 3 inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, dip in flour, cut out heart-shaped pieces of dough and put on prepared baking sheet. Option 2 for preparing the scones--Drop large spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, and flatten a little with your fingers.


Using 1/2 t measuring spoon dipped in flour, gently make an indentation in the center of each pastry heart. Spoon a 1/2 t of jam into each indentation. Bake for 13 min or until the edges are golden brown. 




Two other scone recipes that I enjoy and have used:


Butterscotch Drop Scones


And this scone recipe I found on Pinterest--I've made it many times this fall!

1 comment:

Erin (moviemuse) said...

Scones are on my list of "things to learn to make." And since I have a spiffy new food processor, I just might try them sooner than later! Hey wait, did you embed that directly from Pinterest? How did you do that?!