Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Books I Read in 2013

I like to read.

My mother used to force me outdoors to play, 
and take away the book I tried to sneak outside with me.

Having kids makes it hard to find time to read, but I still try to finish multiple books a year. 
I prefer novels, usually ones with a mystery or suspense woven in them, and if they are written for children or young adults--even better!

Having a baby strangely frees me up to read. 
Nothing like reading a few pages of a good book while nursing in the middle of the night :-)

Because I did not take a seminary class this past year, and because I was reading a lot during nursing, my choices this year were heavily weighted towards suspense novels or other books with engaging plots (you can't read theology while nursing, no offense. You will fall dead asleep). 

I have discovered an author that I enjoy, Daniel Silva, and I have read multiple of his books that feature Gabriel Allon. I also reread a few books by a favorite author of mine, Rick Riordan. His stories about Greek and Roman demigods in today's society are engaging, amusing, and delightful.

However, two nonfiction books from my list stand out to me. The first was Salt, Sugar, Fat--this book changed how my family eats, pure and simple. Also, The Little Way of Ruthie Leming--a beautiful memoir of an unassuming woman in a 'forgettable' small town. Loved it.

If you would like to see my book list from 2013, you can find it here:

Our sabbatical relocation means no evening commitments for our family, so I have been reading a lot! I love it! Here is my 2014 book list: Pinterest: Books Read 2014

What have you read lately?

1 comment:

Pruiksma's Progress said...

this is one of my favorite blog posts you do!! Love ot know what others are reading!! Hope you are well!