Thursday, March 27, 2014

Volcano fun, pt 1

Two weeks ago in Georgia's schoolwork we read an excerpt from A Child's Geography of the World that discussed the earth's layers and volcanoes. The Finnlings were greatly intrigued by volcanoes, so they watched a Bill Nye video about volcanoes, and we checked out several volcano books from the library. For some hands-on activities, Georgia and Baxter created lapbooks using resources from www.homeschoolshare.com. Then, after much begging, I finally caved and let them build a model volcano :-) My problem: I had no modelling clay or anything like that to create a volcano, so I let the kids use aluminum foil. I found an easy 'lava' method online, and we watched a volcano erupt! It was tons of fun for the kids and very easy to make and clean up for me. 

Hard at work on their lapbooks (which were torn apart a couple of days later, oh well)



Creating a volcano:


Filling it with the 'lava'


There she blows!!

My lava is white vinegar with a squirt of dish soap. I could have added food coloring but I did not have any. Once I poured the vinegar in, I put about a teaspoon of baking soda on a tissue (a square of toilet paper works best), and wrapped it up. I dropped that 'bomb' into the top of the volcano and the mixture started to bubble and pour out. Lots of fun!

Date taken: March 21, 2014

No comments: