Friday, December 31, 2010

Favorite Books I Read in 2010

At the end of the year, everyone has lists of their favorites movies/books/shows, etc of the previous year. I decided to follow in the footsteps of people much more important than me and give you a list of my favorite books that I read in 2010 (not necessarily books published in 2010). I'd love to hear what you read this year!

Adopted for Life, Russell Moore--I had the privilege of being a member of Dr. Moore's church and Sunday School class while we were at Southern Seminary, and I got to hear his teaching on adoption AND see the adoption of his sons Timothy and Benjamin take place while I was there. Adopted for Life ties together the practice of adoption with our adoption into the family of God. I greatly enjoyed his book, especially his suggestions for becoming more 'pro-adoption' in your family and church. It will change how you think about adoption.

Radical, David Platt--This book is an engaging read that will spur you to live your Christian life in a RADICAL way, and not in the typical American dream manner. Platt sets forth a series of challenges for believers to undertake in a year, which makes it the perfect read around New Year's.

A Bitter and Sweet Providence, John Piper--Confession: I am not the biggest fan of John Piper's writings. I appreciate his passion for God's glory, for the gospel, for the lost, and I enjoy hearing his sermons, but I do not always like reading his books. However, I enjoyed this book based on his sermon series on the book of Ruth. It gives great insight into gospel truths that are at times overlooked in this OT book. It is a short, simple read, and would accompany a personal study of the book of Ruth well.

Practical Theology for Women: How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives,Wendy Horger Alsup--I am still reading this book, but I want to include it as one of my favorites of 2010. Alsup easily explains why theology is practical for everyone and is not just for seminary students/professors. She repeatedly calls for women to connect what they SAY they believe about God with how they live their lives. It is a convicting read.

Disciplines of Grace, Jerry Bridges--It took me a long time to read this book, simply because I tend to be lazy about reading things that don't have a clear plot. However, I am so glad that I kept coming back to this book and eventually finished it. Bridges discusses preaching the gospel to yourself daily, and allowing the truth of God's gospel to permeate every aspect of your life. If you let it, this can be a life-changing read.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling--I have read this book several times, but wanted to re-read it before the seventh movie was released. And I loved it again! Rowling is a brilliant writer who creates an alternative world of magic and wizards and a story that captures everyone who reads it. The last book in the series has strong themes of friendship, sacrifice, redemption and resurrection. Cannot recommend it enough!

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival,Resilience and Redemption, Laura Hillenbrand--Hillenbrand is the author of Seabiscuit: An American Legend, a non-fiction book that reads like a novel, with rich detailing, extensive research, and characters that truly come to life. I greatly enjoyed Seabiscuit, and was excited to learn that she had another book being released. I bought it almost as soon as it came out. Unbroken is the story of Louie Zamperini, an Olympic runner who flew in WWII, crashed in the ocean and survived, and later was imprisoned in a Japanese POW camp. Louie's life is a story of the amazing resilience of human nature, but more importantly, of God's sovereign plan for one man's life.

The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien--when I read this in middle school, I didn't enjoy it very much, and so I didn't read the LOTR series until I graduated from college--and I loved them. I decided to re-read The Hobbit in the hopes that I would enjoy it more as an adult, and I did! It's a classic that sets up the marvelous world of Middle-Earth, and being that it focuses specifically on the hobbits, is full of humor and whimsy that are a joy to read. I'm glad I took the time to read it again.

Whose Body?, Dorothy Sayers--Speaking of whimsy, Lord Peter Wimsey is main character in Sayers' mysteries, and he is always a fun read! Several friends recommended Sayers' mysteries to me, and I read several over the summer. They are engaging, fun, and well-written while including Sayers' sharp eye for satire.

The Lost Hero, Rick Riordan--I would include all of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, but I started reading those in 2009. The Lost Hero is the first book in a new series by Riordan, the Heroes of Olympus (a spinoff of PJ & Olympians). These young adult fiction novels are based around the idea that Greek gods still exist, and that they mingle with humans and occasionally produce offspring, called demi-gods. The books are filled with witty humor and banter that will entertain teenagers and adults without being crash or crude. They are fun reads that occasionally make you laugh out-loud, and who doesn't enjoy that?

Hope you enjoy my 'reading roundup'! What did you read in 2010, and what are you hoping to read in 2011? Just a note, I have to say that one of the reasons I could read what I did was through the Amazon Kindle that Nathan and I share, and the Amazon gift cards I have earned through Swagbucks. Even if you do not have a Kindle device, you can download the Kindle application for your computer, smart phone or IPad--it is a wonderful way to take more than one book with you (and many classics are free!)

Happy reading in 2011~

1 comment:

michele said...

I read all of Riordan's Percy Jackson series and am finishing up Lost Hero right now. Loved them!

I also read through Tasha Alexandar's Lady Emily Ashton series. The last one of those came out a couple of months ago, but I am on the waiting list at the library.

In looking at your list and thinking about what I've read, I am once again reminded how I need to make myself read more nonfiction....