Saturday, March 09, 2013

Moist Molasses Muffins

I put a batch of these in the oven tonight for breakfast tomorrow, and thought I would share the recipe with you. A couple of years ago, Nathan asked me to make bran muffins. After realizing that a decent bran muffin mix cost me more than I wanted to pay :-), I bought Bob's Red Mill Wheat Bran and used the recipe on the back of the bag. This recipe below is an adaptation of that one.

Moist Molasses Muffins

Ingredients
2 cups soft white wheat flour (I get mine freshly ground at The Grain Mill of Wake Forest)
1/2 cup wheat germ or other 'extras'--flax seed, whole oats, etc.
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk
1/2 cup molasses
3/4 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp oil
2 eggs, beaten

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk together dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients until well-blended (I have used coconut oil as the oil, or extra applesauce instead of the oil). Add wet ingredients to dry and stir together until incorporated. Spoon into greased muffin tin (I use a 12 count regular muffin pan and usually have some batter leftover for mini muffins as well). For an extra 'incentive' for my kids, I sprinkle just a little demerara sugar on top of the batter before baking. Bake for 15-20 minutes, and enjoy!

Because I use freshly ground white wheat flour, I do not use a flour/bran combination like the original recipe requires. I LOVE that this recipe uses no sugar other than the little I sprinkle on top :-)

No comments: