Thursday, December 06, 2012

What's in a name?

It took us a long time to come up with a name for this baby. We had stumbled upon a girl's name that we and the kids loved, but we couldn't pin down a boy's name. Nathan and I had even come to the point of giving the kids a couple of choices and letting them vote (with us having the right to veto, of course).

Last week, shortly before bedtime, we sat down and hashed out our thoughts. My husband, in rather typical fashion, put together several first and middle name suggestions and then asked me to rule out what I did not like. It came down to a couple of different names, and Nathan pressed me on what I was holding back. He wondered if I had a name that I liked and was just waiting for him to suggest.

I didn't. However, in my mind, if this baby had been a boy, I always thought he would have this name, but I couldn't figure out how to work it out. After talking through it, and my admitting that I always thought a boy would be called ______, we decided that we were avoiding the obvious. That settled it, and our son now has a name.

Andrew Fuller Finn

We will call him Fuller. Andrew Fuller is a prominent figure in Baptist and church history, and a gentleman on whom my husband is somewhat of an expert. Andrew also is the middle name of Nathan, his father and his grandfather, and the first name of my brother. I avoided the name because I wasn't sure I wanted an Andrew Fuller, but we decided it was perfect for us.

Nathan explains everything so very well in his blog post:

Check it out, and thank you for welcoming Fuller and praying for him by name!

No comments: