Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning


Since I mentioned you can substitute your own homemade taco seasoning for the pre-packaged stuff in my post about Taco Cupcakes, I thought I would share my recipe here. I honestly don't remember the impetus behind making my own...maybe I wanted taco seasoning and didn't have any, or maybe I read something somewhere that convicted about the preservatives in mixes (don't be fooled-I still use them), or maybe someone pinned it on Pinterest. Doesn't really matter, in the end, does it? What matters is I found it, I made it, and we like it so much more than the packets of seasoning.


Homemade Taco Seasoning


Ingredients:
1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup onion powder
1/8 cup ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon sea salt

Directions: 
Put ingredients into a jar and shake. I normally make half a batch at a time, and it still makes a lot of seasoning. Easy peasy! One taco seasoning packet is usually 2 TBS of the mix, but you will have to taste it to see what you like the best. We like more seasoning rather than less!

If you are interested, the original recipe is here, along with a couple of other mixes that I have not tried. If you try them, let me know!

No comments: