Sunday, February 17, 2013

Peppermint Crunch Puppy Chow

Ten days before Christmas I realized that I needed to come up with a Christmas gift idea for the kids' teachers at church and a few other people. I asked a group of friends on Facebook for some ideas, and someone gave me this link: Peppermint Crunch Puppy Chow. I adapted it somewhat, and had the kids help me make it. It bagged up very prettily, and made for delicious treats for our friends and teachers.

Peppermint Crunch Puppy Chow

Ingredients:
5 cups Rice Chex cereal
10 ounces Vanilla flavored Almond Bark (or to be more fancy, use white chocolate baking squares)
1/2-1 cup crushed candy canes (1 cup is 10-12 candy canes)
powdered sugar

Directions:
Unwrap candy canes and crush into small pieces. In microwave safe bowl, melt the vanilla Almond Bark. Stir in Rice Chex cereal until thoroughly coated. Add crushed candy canes, and turn out mixture onto parchment or wax paper. Dust lightly with powdered sugar.* Allow puppy chow to cool and break into small pieces. Bag up in 1/2 cup-1 cup portions, if you don't eat it first!

*original recipe calls for 1 cup powdered sugar to be added to the mixture, like traditional puppy chow. I don't like the mess of the powdered sugar, and I wanted to let the peppermint shine through, so I only used a little bit for effect.








Date taken: December 15, 2012

No comments: