Monday, April 22, 2013

What's Up with the Finn Family? and how you can be praying

Updated April 23, 2013, at 11:30 a.m.
Eleanor was a trooper this morning for her MRI. She was as good-natured and sweet as she could be traveling to the hospital, and she charmed all of the nurses, doctors and staff that she met. It helped that as soon as we moved back into a room they put on an episode of Dora, which she loves. Eleanor fussed a little when they began her sedation (given through a mask), but it wasn't long and she was out. The technicians say they got some really good images, and they will be sending those to our ankle specialist who will interpret them for us. Hopefully we will know more in the next few days. As her sedation has worn off, Eleanor has perked up more and seems to be doing great, and we rejoice for how easy a process this was. THANK YOU for your prayers and support! We truly felt them today.
PS--no baby yet. :-)

First things first--there is no baby yet. Just wanted to clear the air before moving on :-)

Those who read my blog and/or know us in person know that we have dealt with some issues regarding 
Eleanor's ankle that she sprained back in the fall (you can see my brief update as well, but I did not post about it after that). Unfortunately, she did not return to walking normally after her cast was removed, and we began physical therapy. After several months of physical therapy, she has improved in some areas, but not in all of them. Eleanor still shows signs of a limp, though it is not as pronounced, and while she does not cry when we put her shoes on anymore, she still favors her left foot a good deal. Though she is over two years old, she cannot run--her attempts at running are a super cute 'power walk', but not an actual run. The tendons at the top of her left foot are short and tight, almost locked in a permanent flexed position. We have no way of knowing if she is stiffening it herself or if there is an injury of which we are unaware that makes it this way. After discussing it and weighing our options, and at the recommendation of our physical therapist, we sought a second opinion. Truthfully, Nathan and I had wondered about this off and on for a few weeks, but we just weren't sure. Yes, kids should heal really quickly, but no, foot/ankle injuries take a long time to heal. blah blah blah. A couple of weeks ago we consulted with an ankle specialist who affirms what we have thought--though Eleanor walks decently and doesn't appear to be in pain, something is still not right with her foot and ankle. His recommendation was for her to have an MRI, which would give us a better grasp of exactly what is (or is not going on) in her foot and ankle, much better than Xrays can. Once we rule out any mystery injuries we can proceed with aggressive and probably long term physical therapy.

Which leads us to what is going on with the Finns. Tuesday morning, April 23, at 7 a.m., we are taking Eleanor to a local hospital for an MRI. She will be heavily sedated for the procedure, which should only take about 45 minutes (though because of the sedation we are supposed to allot 2.5 hours). This MRI will help us know if she has an internal injury that we cannot see, or if there is nothing wrong and she is subconsciously still favoring the foot and ankle. Nathan and I--well, mostly me--have some anxiety and apprehension about our little girl undergoing sedation with this test, but we know it is for the best. It will be good to have a clear sense of direction for her treatment in the future.

There are two possible snags:

Eleanor has been snotty-nosed and sneezing all day. I called the nurse line to ask about it, and they recommended that we keep her appointment. It appears to be a minor case of allergies, and as long as she is not 'really' sick, things are okay. So please please pray that she stays minorly sick, or that whatever this is passes quickly. Once we get there, the anesthesiologist could recommend rescheduling if he/she feels like Eleanor is not well enough--and I would hate for that to happen.

Finnling #4. Yes, he is due any day now. I haven't been tracking his due date online because I never go early, and I hate endless questions about due dates since they are arbitrary :-) That whining aside, he is due this week, and though I am ready to meet him and not be pregnant anymore, it would be nice for him to wait another day or two until big sister's test is done. On the up side, though, Eleanor's test is at the same hospital that I will deliver, so .... two birds with one stone? :-)

We are so grateful for your prayers especially tomorrow morning during the MRI. We have already been overwhelmingly blessed by support from our family, friends and local church. In the grand scheme of things, we have many friends whose children struggle with things MUCH more severe, things that make this test look so very MINOR, but this is new territory for the Finns. Nathan and I rejoice that the Lord has blessed us with healthy, thriving children, and we trust that this MRI will help us to minister to Eleanor and help her become the most active, healthy, wild and crazy comedienne of a two year old that she can be.

I will do my best to update after the test. Thank you in advance for your prayers.

No comments: