Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Week of Eating Meatless

This week, we are taking on an 'eating challenge'. The Finn family will attempt to eat meatless for one week. In general, we aren't a daily 'meat and three' kind of family, but we want to decrease our need for meat, and increase our intake of other sources of protein like whole grains, legumes, beans, and dairy. For my birthday, Nathan gave me More With Less, a cookbook which includes "recipes and suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources." It is a treasure trove of information and resources! Nathan and I have pulled together a list of recipes that we already use and ones that we hope to make this week. Most are bean/lentil/quinoa based, and all look delicious. I am looking forward to this challenge, and I will let you know which recipes are 'keepers'!

Note: there will be two exceptions to the meatless week. The first is the Finnlings. While Nathan and I will eat leftovers or meatless alternatives for lunch, the Finnlings may have a turkey and cheese sandwich during the week (if necessary). I hope to keep them as close to our 'diet' as I can. The second exception is that I will use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth because I have homemade chicken stock in my freezer that I can use. It is incredibly good for you, and I don't have to be hard-nosed about the 'meatless' rules.


Finn Family Recipes:






Recipes to try:

Curried Split Peas (Dhal) w/Flatbread (from the More With Less Cookbook )

Black Bean and Avocado Enchiladas





No comments: