Sunday, January 26, 2014

Spinach and Feta Quiche

I do not remember the original source of this recipe, but I made this quiche for a friend's baby shower six or seven years ago and we have loved it ever since. It is a fun twist on the traditional quiche (and yes, *even* my husband eats it, though apparently quiche is considered a more 'girly' food).


Spinach and Feta Quiche 

Ingredients
  • 3-4 TBS butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • ½ small onion, chopped
  • 1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
  • 1 (4.5 oz) can mushrooms, drained** I consider this an ‘optional’ ingredient that I don’t useJ
  • 1 (6 oz.) package herb and garlic feta, crumbled
  • 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 (9 in.) unbaked deep dish pie crust
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup milk


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  • In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned. Stir in spinach, feta and ½ cup Cheddar cheese until well combined (a couple of minutes).** Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. (I add a little more cheese here into the egg mixture as well) Pour into the pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture. It will be VERY full!
  • Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.  After the 15 minutes, sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and bake an additional 35-40 minutes, until set in center. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.


**1 (4.5 oz.) can mushrooms is recommended, and is included in this step. I don’t like mushrooms, so I leave it out. I am sure it would be good with the ‘shrooms as well.

No comments: