Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Days of Thanksgiving--Nov. 16

Books to the ceiling
Books to the sky
My piles of books are a mile high
How I love them!
How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them
-Arnold Lobel



I love books! I have always been a lover of books from a young age. (Funny aside: my best friend and I used to have spend-the-night parties where we would each read a book the entire evening. Our moms thought it was odd, but we were quiet! AND I was often punished by having my library books taken away. Seriously.) I have to confess that my job as a stay at home mom does not give me as much time to read as I would like, but I treasure any extra reading time I get! I prefer novels with great storylines, stories that engage and challenge me and cause me to long for the best story of all (found here). I am trying to instill in my children a love of books and an appreciation of great literature. You can see a list of some of our favorite children books here. So today, I am thankful that I can read, that I have been blessed with a love of books, and that my husband enjoys reading just as much as I do (and often similar things, too!).

I am currently enrolled in a online seminary course, and all of my reading is devoted toward that right now. However, I did read a few books before the semester started, praise the Lord, and I look forward to reading more books once the semester ends. Just for fun, here are the books I have read this year:
Hunger Games, Collins
Catching Fire, Collins
Mockingjay, Collins
Take One, Kingsbury
Practical Theology for Women, Alsup
Don't Make Me Count To Three, Plowman
Jane Eyre, Bronte
John Adams, McCullough
The Help, Stockett
So You're Thinking about Homeschooling, 
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows audiobook, Rowling
Five Red Herrings, George
Throne of Fire, Riordan
Love That Lasts, Riccucci
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, Peterson
North! or Be Eaten, Peterson
Radical Together, Platt
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, Simonson
You can also see my 'reviews' of  favorite books I read in 2010

After my class is finished, I hope to read Son of Neptune by Riordan, Give Them Grace by Fitzpatrick, Kisses from Katie by Davis, and maybe a few others:-) What's on your bookshelf right now?

No comments: